After a traumatic experience, individuals can continue to experience symptoms associated with the event. EMDR is a psychotherapy that allows people to heal from the symptoms and emotional distress associated with the event.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a psychotherapy that highlights patterns and relationships between an individual’s thoughts, emotions, and behaviors.
Emotion Freedom Technique (EFT), or Tapping, is an alternative therapy that releases energy blockages by tapping on acupressure meridians
“One can choose to go back toward safety or forward toward growth. Growth must be chosen again and again; fear must be overcome again and again.”
“The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
“Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it’s holy ground. There’s no greater investment.”
Therapy is a deeply personal experience. In our fast-paced society, the demands and life experiences can sometimes become too much. Therapy gives you a space of your own and allows you to address a number of concerns including feeling sad or unmotivated, excessive worry, trauma, difficult life transitions, and relationship problems. Your relationship with yourself is the longest relationship you will have. It deserves to be nurtured and cared for, like everything else in your life.
You get out of therapy what you put into it. Clients who have been successful in therapy with me are those who are motivated to make healthy, supportive changes in their lives, are engaged in session, and open to feedback. A one-hour session is less than 1% of your week. The real work happens during the other 99% of the week, outside of session. If you aren’t willing to make life changes or use the strategies discussed in session, you won’t get much out of it.
I use a personal growth model in my practice. While I still diagnose and offer treatment, I am an equal in the process. Nobody understands the ins and outs of your life more than you and I respect that each individual has unique life experiences. The goal is not simply to feel better; the goal is to improve, transform, and enrich your quality of life. I utilize a wide array of Eastern and Western methods to help you move from a place of survival to self-awareness.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a comprehensive therapy that addresses the physiological storage of a memory and how that informs one’s experience in the world. It’s assumed that severe emotional distress and complex trauma requires a long time to heal. EMDR shows that the mind can heal from psychological trauma, much in the way the body recovers from physical trauma. Through the use of purposeful eye movements, the brain is naturally able to release blocks and move towards mental healing.
EMDR psychotherapy is considered an “A” level treatment for trauma, recommended by the World Health Organization for children, adolescents and adults (EMDR Institute).
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a psychotherapy based on the understanding that psychological distress is due to unhealthy ways of thinking and learned patterns of unhelpful behavior. When we learn more effective ways of coping, we relieve the distress. CBT directly challenges an individual’s thoughts, core beliefs, and learned behavior. There is also regular work assigned outside of session to help reinforce the new learned skills.
Emotion Freedom Technique (EFT) is an alternative therapy for managing psychological distress. Similarly to acupressure or acupuncture, EFT involves tapping on the body’s energy meridian points. According to Chinese medicine, energy flows through these areas of the body. A block or imbalance in the flow of this energy can lead to a decline in health. According to EFT International, tapping on these meridian points with the fingertips restores the balance of energy and significantly reduces an individuals’ emotional distress.
I additionally incorporate elements of mindfulness, breath work, and energy psychology into my practice.
Can’t make it to Santa Clarita? Don’t stress! Research shows that telehealth sessions are as efficacious as in person session and thanks to today’s technology, therapy is at the touch of your fingertips! I offer HIPAA-compliant video and phone sessions.
I do not take insurance and can provide required documentation if clients wish to submit to insurance for out of network coverage.
My fee for a standard, 60-minute session is $120. An extended, 90-minute session is $180. Fees for workshops and DIY courses vary. For Business to Business consultation requests, please contact me directly to discuss needs.